Why Buy Handmade?
In a world that's increasingly shrinking because of technology, there's an over-saturation of commercialism and access to products. You could scour sites like Amazon and eBay and literally find almost anything and have it shipped to your front door. With so much availability of products from around the world, why should you consider buying handmade, local goods?
Here are a lucky-seven reasons why you should buy handmade:
- You support an artist who clearly put time and love into his/her craft. You're not just buying into profits, you're buying into an entire process from conception, to manufacturing, to marketing, to distribution, all likely from the same person.
- You're buying into purity. People who create handmade goods aren't aiming to nickel-and-dime you. They're entirely responsible for their formulations, so they are seeking the purest, most natural, highest quality ingredients available.
- You're purchasing from a consumer and a creator. Makers are their own worst critics and are constantly testing and retesting their own products, as well as using their own products, to ensure quality.
- You're supporting the environment. Hand-crafters aren't using giant machines which emit noxious chemicals into the environment. They're not testing on animals. They're not polluting by searching for chemical alternatives.
- You're distributing money into your local economy, which grows and supports you and everyone around you. Your makers are likely buying many of their resources locally, so when you buy from a maker, you're doubly impacting your local economy.
- You are sustaining belief in the American dream. Your makers are often people working two jobs, stay-at-home parents, students - by supporting these people, they, in turn, will continue to contribute and grow, thus creating conscious citizenship.
- You're buying from real people who truly care about your reaction and satisfaction with their product. Your concerns are personal to them; they sincerely want you to be happy because it's going from their hands to yours.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.