Safety First! - The Three Golden Rules of Candle Safety
*Keep away from pets, too.
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
- Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. It should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
- Place the candleholder on a stable, heat-resistant surface. This will also help prevent possible heat damage to counters and table surfaces and prevent glass containers from cracking or breaking.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
- Never touch or move a burning candle. Never move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquefied.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains (1/2 inch if in a container).
- Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another. This is to make sure they don’t melt one another, or create their own drafts that will cause the candles to burn improperly.
- Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.
- Always keep the candle within your sight. If you are going to leave the room, be sure to first blow out all candles.
- Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room. Don’t burn too many candles in a small room or in a “tight” home where air exchange is limited.
- Never use a candle as a night light.
- Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fueling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
- Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
- Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.
- Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
- Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.
- Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.
*ALL COPYRIGHTS FOR CANDLE SAFETY, IMAGES, AND INSTRUCTIONS REMAIN THE SOLE RIGHTS OFTHE NATIONAL CANDLE ASSOCIATION
Clean Your Candle!
For safety and a clean burn, it's important to clean your candles while they're unlit and cool. Sometimes there is a build-up of dust, lint, hair, or sediment on candles that haven't been used in a while. It's very important to clean these areas out for safety, as this is highly flammable, and for a clean burn. Clean candles between each burn, after they've cooled off, for the best possible safe results.
The first time you burn a SOY candle is the MOST IMPORTANT for the life of your candle!
Good Burn vs. Bad Burn
It's key to have the time to burn your candle to get the most out of it. To ensure the most burn time out of your candle and an even burn, candles should be burned at least 1 hour for every inch across in diameter, or the melt pool should be 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch. For example...if you have a 3 inch wide candle (the size of our most popular tumbler jar), you should burn it for at least 3 hours. Soy wax is special in that in "remembers" the melt pool. If you don't have time to let the melt pool go across the candle, it will keep burning that same melt pool, thus causing the weird hole (called "tunneling").
Remember that candles should always be burned while supervised by an adult.
Always store your cooled, unlit candles in a cool, dark, and dry place. Tapers or dinner candles should be stored flat to preventing warping. Avoid placing your candles where they will be directly exposed to sunlight or harsh indoor lighting, such as a spotlight. Candles may fade if they are left in bright light for an extended period of time.
Wax Warmer Care
- Place up to 3 soy wax tartlets in your warmer, turn on, and enjoy! (You can custom order wax tartlets by contacting us.)
- Be safe by keeping wax warmers away from children and pets. Always place your wax warmer on a heat-safe surface. Never leave your switched-on wax warmer unattended. Be sure to switch off your wax warmer if you’re leaving the room. Liquid wax is hot and should never be touched.
- It’s time to change your tartlets when you can no longer smell them (after being fully melted for one hour). Soy wax tartlets should maintain their fragrance for about 12-15 hours of melt time. (Some scents will last longer than others.)
- To discard old wax: Wait until completely cool, use a sharp utensil* to create a crack throughout the full center of the wax. Use the utensil to start carving the perimeter of the wax. Wax should lift out in chunks by leveraging the utensil underneath the wax. Discard old wax in trash. (*An old butter-knife works perfectly, but do not use any utensil used in eating or cooking.
- Do not discard liquid wax in drains. The wax will quickly solidify causes blockages, and it is not environmentally-friendly.
Keep your soap out of standing water.
Most showers have soap-holders already built in, which is convenient, but not ideal. These soap-holders often do not have drains, and the soap sits in water; the continued exposure to moisture will make the soap mushy, and diminish its life-span.
If you’re stuck with a non-draining soap-holder, here are some things you can do:
- We now offer 100% Wooden Soap Dishes, which will keep your soap beautiful by draining out any excess water. Just be sure to store the soap dish away from the direct stream of the shower or bath.
- Another recommendation is the Stainless Steel Suction Soap Dish. There are many options for soap dishes on the market, but we highly recommend this one because it keeps the soap drained, and because it’s made of stainless steel, you don’t have to worry about the growth of mold and mildew (like with wooden dishes). Plus, it has a very strong suction, so even if you’re working with limited space, you can pop this right on your shower wall.
- If you’re looking for a lather boost, we recommend the Soap Saver Pouch. Because these pouches hang, the pouches protect the soap from over-exposure to moisture by draining out any excess water. Also, the pouch can be used directly on your skin to create a fluffy later and extra exfoliation.
Scrub & Butter Care
Avoid getting water into your body/face butters and scrubs. The scrubs are protected (just in case you do get some water) with a natural preservative, called Optiphen. Butters should never come into contact with water. The best way to avoid extra exposure to moisture is to close your product after every use.
Shower Steamer & Bath Bomb Care
Shower Steamers & Bath Bombs smell so wonderful, you may be tempted to store them out of the plastic and in your bathroom, but what happens is that the oils will be absorbed by whatever you place the steamers or bath bomb on, which will eventually make them less effective. Keep them stored in plastic until you're ready to use them. If you can't retie the bag they come in, grab a zip-locking sandwich bag and store them there.
Make sure to store them in a dry environment - if there is humidity, like in a bathroom, the humidity could even seep through the plastic bag and start generating the fizzing action. The worst thing would be to find your shower steamer or bath bomb has already fizzed out!
Facial Toner & Serum Care
The bottles used to create our facial toner and serum are specially crafted to avoid moisture getting inside. Avoid the temptation to open the top off of the bottle to prevent any water from getting inside your product.